Hemp is the male, non-psychoactive form of Cannabis and the seeds of these plants are densely packed with nutrients if ingested. After the seeds of the hemp plant are un-shelled – what is left is the hemp heart. Hemp hearts have a mild, nutty flavor and add a slight crunchiness to the foods they are added to. Hemp hearts are great on oatmeal, in smoothies or protein shakes, refrigerator oatmeal or on top of yogurt. 5 Health benefits to eating Hemp Hearts:
1. Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids. Hemp hearts are a great source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. The ratio of omega 6 fatty acids to omega 3 fatty acids are considered optimal for humans.
2. High in Protein. Three tablespoons of hemp hearts have 10g of protein. The protein found in hemp hearts is called edestin and albumin and they include all essential amino acids.
3. Antioxidants. Hemp hearts contain high levels of Vitamin E and phenolic acid, both of which are powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants work to protect cells in the body from the damaging effects of free radicals.
4. High in vitamins and minerals. Hemp hearts are a good source of riboflavin, thamine, potassium, magnesium and calcium.
5. Anti-inflammatory. Hemp hearts contain plant sterols and alcohols that have been known to reduce inflammation.
Hemp hearts taste great and are excellent additions to muffin or cookie batters, salads, smoothies, trail mixes, oatmeal and yogurt.