Milk is good for you, as you’ve probably heard over the years. However, the recent years saw questions directed towards the health benefits a person can acquire in cow’s milk. Add that with the fact that there are so many people who are lactose-intolerant and allergic to it that it’s not surprising to find a lot of people looking for alternatives to cow’s milk, and one of the favorite substitutes is hemp milk.
Hemp milk, also known as hemp seed milk, is rapidly becoming the favorite of health experts owing to the multiple health benefits they bring to drinkers. It is made by grounding hemp seeds mixed with water very finely. While the seeds indeed come from the same genus as that of a well-known psychoactive drug, hemp milk itself contains little to no delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which the drug contains, making it safe for drinking for both children and adults. What’s great about the beverage is that it offers so much more benefits compared to cow’s milk and its substitutes, including soy milk.
The hemp milk benefits are:
1. Non-allergenic. Those who need their daily dose of calcium but cannot get it from cow’s milk because of their lactose intolerance can now get the nutrients from hemp milk, which has all of the benefits (and more!) and none of the bad effects, since there is no evidence that the beverage triggers any negative reactions to drinkers.
2. Nutritious. Hemp milk has been found to be chock-full of minerals, which includes calcium, potassium, phosphorous, folic acid, magnesium, iron and zinc. It’s so rich in minerals that it actually contains 20% of the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of iron and 46% RDA of calcium, which is so much more compared to what can be found in cow’s milk. It is also rich in vitamins, containing Vitamins A, E, D, and B12. If that’s not enough, it also has high levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are good for the heart. The body cannot naturally produce these essential fatty acids, so adding that to your diet is essential.
3. Protein-rich. A glass of hemp milk provides 4-5 grams of protein, an amount that is easier to digest and absorb by the body compared to other milk substitutes, so your system will be able to utilize the nutrients better.
4. Health booster. Studies of hemp milk showed that the beverage can improve immune system functioning, promote good heart health, and repair and maintain hair, skin, and nails.
5. Brain booster. Hemp milk can actually make you smart! There are indications that the beverage can actually improve a drinker’s cognitive functions. It is also shown to help fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Taste. Hemp milk is very tasty, having a rich, creamy, and nutty flavor that will make even the most difficult-to-please kids eager to have a taste of the beverage.
Hemp milk is a healthy and tasty substitute for cow’s milk. In buying some, make sure to get the organic variants, because these are purer, contain more nutrients, and are not exposed to toxins.